Monday, November 30, 2009

Something #11 LMAO!

LMAO! I really detest acronyms like that, and LYMI for sure, but this little something had me laughing on a day when I really needed it.

I arrived in Waterloo ready to ride and take on the day, only to discover that my bike had been "tagged" with red permanent marker (no photo, sorry) AND I had a flat tire. Do you think these two incidents are related?

I walked my bike unsuccessfully through town only to discover that the air valve will not fit the valve on the air pump at the Auto Shop. (I am not even sure I am using the correct terminology.) AND I do not speak a lick of French! This all made for an interesting morning.

Also, school is kind of a bummer these days. The teacher I work with has just been diagnosed with breast cancer. She hasn't told the kids yet and she will have surgery two weeks from today. She is young, kind, a wife and mother. She is going through so much emotionally. We talk during the day and I've shared my experience with her, but she will soon find out for herself and have her own experiences.
When I talk with her, it all comes back to me and I wince at times from my memories of -
the sores in my mouth
the weakness
the aches
the nausea
the 30+ pounds I gained from the steroids
the two years it took to loose them
the chemical burns on my skin
the constipation
the hair loss
my cold head against the pillow
the fear
the constant tiredness
the exhaustion of people telling you everything will be ok over and over because it makes them feel better.

But I do hope everything is going to be ok...


Jon had a late night tonight, and I went to the International Short Film Festival in Leuven.

I wish you could have been here with me, but tonight's selection was so morbid and melancholy. The best short I saw was Wes Anderson's Hotel Chevalier.
Did you know it's a prologue to The Darjeeling Limited? Another film I saw out of the US, in Mexico...

I also saw this short:

I was a little depressed as I walked home tonight, not to mention I was FREEZING!

Thankfully, I had this at home to make me laugh:


Oh Steph! What did you do to this poor child?!


Just look at those cheeks!

I'm still cracking up...

xoxo
~LYMI

5 comments:

  1. hahaha.
    It makes me laugh, too.
    Esp. seeing that close-up shot!
    too funny.
    glad it brought out some laughs for ya.

    I used to dress up both my little brothers in dresses and wigs and have them post for photos. Eventually they caught on to that NOT being something they wanted to do.
    oh big sisters and little brothers.

    I had seen that Darjeeling Prologue before the movie came out. Don't remember where. I think they may have been playing it as a trailer in theaters? As a teaser. Not sure.

    Very sad news about the teacher.
    Hopefully your experience will somehow help her as she goes through what is such a harrowing experience.
    Isn't life crazy?
    Reading that list of what you went through and now you are healthy as a horse. Good going, Lydia!
    (I actually almost included a photo I had taken of you during that time and thought I might wrap it with writings about how you go through it and what I remembered from that time.
    But ended up not including it. Didn't wanna cause a breakdown via memory lane or anything. :)


    Overall, though - sounds like your spirits are up!
    That is fab. Is it getting christmas-y there?

    -s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup! Still makes me laugh! Yes, I feel like I am back in the game. I started a new project and will post more about it later this evening on Skirt Project. Miss you millions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to see that photo. I remember my hair was falling out at that time. My scalp looked like a leopard. Tell me what you remember? Was it weird to see my like that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another one of my friends (35) has to have most of her right lung removed next Tuesday. She has a beautiful baby boy, just barely one year old...

    ReplyDelete
  5. bummer!
    Try to be an upbeat thinker-on-the-subject for your friends and not get mired down in the sadness of it! YOU beat it, so can they. No vicarious pain. Only joy! :)

    ReplyDelete