Tuesday, September 29, 2009

It chose me.

I swear, I tried to hold off opening another something until I got some work done. "Work" that word in itself makes me want to open another something, or throw myself off a bridge. I heard from the Italian mother yesterday, she wrote that she was impressed, but was unable to hire me because of my status here in Belgium. Understandable, but it was still disappointing. All is not lost though, she wants to keep in touch, and who knows? Maybe I will work for her once I know a little more about my status. I need to go and inquire more about my situation at town hall, and I know I will need a little something for that, it's always stressful.

Also, I was in the middle of my day when Jon came home. I had not showered and was still in my pajamas. He could have cared less, but I was embarrassed. I was worried that it appeared that I hadn't done anything all day. Not true, I tell you. I was "working" on stuff. :)

Anyway, I got on with my day, ran the errands that needed running and pulled the package from the shelf, which now looks like this:
All pretty in a poppy satin ribbon. I love satin ribbon. I brought many colors with me for uses just like this!

Anyway, as soon as I pulled it out this little dear fell on the floor with a thud. Straight down I tell you.
It fell from the bottom of the pack.

Uh-oh. This totally messed me up. This was not the order I was opening them in! I had thought about putting it all back and getting back to my day, but took it as a sign.

It wanted to be opened.
It chose me.


Alright then, let's get on with it.

I savor the experience of opening these little somethings, they are all so intricately wrapped. It seems that it was probably time consuming, so I try to respect that. I cringe when people just tear the paper on gifts I wrap, "Hey! I put time, thought and effort into that!" Also, I think I can reuse the wrapping in some manner in the future.

I tried to carefully untie the twine, but it just slipped off.
Ditto with the pretty paper. You used a lot of tiny scotch tape squares, which were fun to peel.


Whoa! What's this, another package?
Interesting fabric. Looks like something tribal, African. What the heck were you doing with these scraps?

I feel something flexible. The word jangly comes to mind... Is that a word?


WOW!
How freaking cool!
I LOVE The beads!
Red, black and silver, that's so perfect for me.


These are so different!


Um...


What is it?


Ahhh, right.
I am supposed to figure that out.

I hold them for a while.
They are so pretty. Should I hang them on the wall? One earring? Take them apart? Make some kind of bookmark? (Not really into any books right now...)

Hmmmm. Then I had this idea.
I always wear the same jewelry, but I did happen to bring a piece I had made on an extra chain. Do you know what this is?
Also, I like the fabric.
I remember this. It's from a skirt you made in Portland, right? African... Ha! I have some holes in my coat pockets that need mending. This fabric will work PERFECTLY. Then you will be able to come with me where ever I go. There's talk of going to Munich or Rotterdam this weekend...

Finally, the paper - it has such a funky texture! Like masking tape with out the adhesive. I like the way it folds.

Do you remember my Sadako and crane making craze when I was in Mexico? Why didn't we read that book in school? Did you read it? Put it on your library list if you haven't. It's great. You can read it in an hour or two. Made me cry.

Anyway, when life hands you paper, make a crane:
and make a wish.


xoxo
~LYMI

2 comments:

  1. loved reading this one!
    And I think you made EXCELLENT use of the janglies.
    Yep - that's from a Portland skirt.
    I actually wore it to brunch with Marianne on Sunday.
    We went to the Old Monk and it was GOOD.
    And cheap. And not crowded.
    I had a biscuit with OUTTASIGHT delicious gravy.
    Check this out - poached egges, potatoes, fruit, bacon and a biscuit and gravy for $6.50.
    holy hell!
    you know I'm a sucker for a deal.
    especially such a tasty one.

    I'll put that book on my list.
    I'm reading some books about Los Alamos right now and also one called Santa Evita about her body and rep. after she died. There were a bunch of copies made and she was embalmed and people stole and hid the bodies and such. crazy!
    It's a slow read - I actually have it in the bathroom.

    I think you should talk to whoever deals with visas at Jon's school and get them to help you with your options.
    It seems like you should be able to get a "fiance" visa of some sort that matches his allowed time?

    Got another date tonight.
    About to hit up Buffalo Exchange to see if I can find something new and cute and cheap to wear!

    -s

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. that origami is so neat! I have never tried to do that.
    very cute. and yeah - isn't that paper weird? I think it was from when I bought something fragile at a store and it was mixed in with the normal paper they wrapped it in. It's sorta waxy, but not. Any idea what fibers it could be made of?

    ReplyDelete