Saturday, September 26, 2009

Something #1

There is a period of stress that accompanies acclimation when change occurs. For me, I had four major changes hitting me all at once. There was the move to another country, finding a place to live, finding work and moving-in/living with my boyfriend. Needless to say at about day 10, I was kind of stressed out. More than kind of... I have a tendency to stay in a negative place in my head, even though I am usually outwardly cheerful and optimistic. This catches up with me from time to time, and even I can't deal with myself. I was stressed from moving, disappointed with the bureaucracy that I might not be able to stay in Belgium for a year with Jon, tired of wondering, "what the hell am I doing here?", "what am I going to do here?" and just plain tired of it all. Sometimes we need a vacation from our vacation, and ourselves.

But, the next day we were settled and I had a few moments to myself in our new apartment. If ever I needed a little pick me up, it was then.

"It's time," I thought. I seized the package and slowly, carefully unwound the white luminous tulle that grew longer and longer with every twist and turn of my wrist.

What fun this was! And really quite meditative.

Some thoughts as I unwrapped:
Dang! Where did you find this long-ass piece of tulle?
How long did it take you to wrap all this?
How did you come up with this clever idea? Did someone do this for you?
This makes me feel special. Thanks.

Oh, and look! Little packages are starting to spill out!
(Instant smile.)

It was already working.

When the package was finally unwrapped and the tulle carefully folded and set aside, I looked at the pile on my lap. "Which one do I open first?" Oh, what a quandary!

Should I close my eyes and pick? Take the one of the top, the middle or the bottom? Wait, did she save the best for last?

Ultimately, I went with the one that rolled out - a little rectangular package wrapped and tied in a dusty rose scrap of fabric.

When I untied it, I noticed a little drawing on the fabric.

What does this mean? Wait, should I open this when it's raining? Belgium has a tendency to be a gray and dreary place. Something Steph can identify with since she used to live in the Pacific Northwest.
I thought about putting it back, but it was too late. There was no turning back now.

I can't express enough how exhilarating opening one little teeny-tiny package was.

Seriously folks, it's the little things...

And it was...
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
Perfume!
Fresh Sugar
"A delicious fragrance that combines sparkling citrus and sheer floral noes with warm gourmand flavors of caramel and vanilla."

Close your eyes and put your nose here:




X







Can you smell it? It's like a little piece of sunshine

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

~LYMI

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I love this!!!!
    So fun to hear about when you open each one.
    Thank you internet and blogs for existing so I can share this with Lydia!!

    In Answer to your questions :
    (1) Tulle was actually a roll grabbed at a dollar store one time when I needed just a scrap of it. It was a pretty long roll and I actually really love that particular tulle. What a deal!
    (2) I worked on the packages for a few weeks here and there
    (3)I got the idea, roughly, from a blog posting somewhere where someone had received a handful of gifts all wrapped interestingly and similarly. I adjusted the idea for you and your trip. Wanted each little parcel to be different shapes, colors, textures. And also to be very FLAT items, since you were going far away. Something easy to toss in the suitcase that wouldn't take up any space. But still have "heavy" things inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Steph. This was great to write about in retrospect. It was opened on the 12th of September. Loved the tulle. It made me think of Molly. I think/hope I get to make her veil.

    I can't thank you enough for this.

    ReplyDelete