Monday, October 5, 2009

Something #4 (?)

I opened a little package yesterday, due to my lousy experience at the Denon/Delhaize, my local grocery store.
It's always an experience when I go, I like to say as little as possible and it's worked about 50% of the time. However, last Saturday took the cake.

Incident #1) Jon wanted sausage. I happily obliged this request, except that I can't read Dutch, but I do know what sausage looks like:
I had asked the butcher for help and even though she spoke perfect English, she had little interest in helping as she was a vegetarian. "Sorry."

Looks like sausage to me, so I put it in my basket.

Fortunately I ran into a couple of friends, and I asked them to help me in the Deli section. Just to be sure...

They both shook their heads, "No, no, no, no, no. You don't want this. This is how do you say... the brains."

Oooooooooooooh! OMG! Gross!

Incident #2. Money is VERY tight here right now. So, the plan was for me to put the food on the credit card. Easy, right? Except, that they don't take credit cards. Only "bank contact" which is basically debit.

Shit...

The cashier looked at me as if I were pathetic and said, "No Euros?Bank contact?"

I didn't even have my wallet with me. So I had to leave MY bags of groceries and call Jon at the library, tell him I needed money that we didn't have, and it was 47 Euros, was that too much? Should I put stuff back? Blah, blah, blah. Waaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!

Why do I have to FAIL every time I go to Delhaize?

I went home, calmed the *f* down, drank a beer and went to the ATM and took out some Euros. All was well. I went and paid, grabbed my loot and was on my merry way.

Incident #3. Maybe it was the beer? But, I blame it on my teeny-tiny kitchen and the fact that one more thing had to go wrong. As I was putting the groceries away, I had left a cabinet door open, and WHACK!

The cabinets on the wall moved.

My head was throbbing...

and BLEEDING!!!!

"Oh my god I need stitches! Am I about to pass out? I am all alone! I don't want to go to the hospital! and...."

It's all good, just a big nick and a bruise. Jon took me out for Ethiopian food.

This experience definitely warranted a little something, but I didn't want to open it at home. The next day I went solo to a craft fair in Bruges. I made a point of grabbing a flat package since you made a comment about it.

Once I was on the train, and my ticket was verified I pulled out the awesome red envelope.

So cute!
I like the blue star.


Opening the package very carefully...

What's this?

I can't see, I'm in a tunnel..

And in the light, I see it's a recipe for
Steph's "Throw it all in" 1 Pan Breakfast Scramble.

I don't even want to think about dinner, let alone going to the grocery sto... Wait!

I scan the ingredients.

I actually have all of these ingredients in my fridge right now, and I actually need to use the rest of the spinach before it wilts. And, I didn't know what I was going to make for dinner...
Thank you Steph!

When I get home, I assemble the ingredients.

I cut the potatoes, though these aren't "Idaho" potatoes. They're Belgian.
Anyway, I cut the potatoes and place them in a pan and cut the rest of my ingredients.

I also make a stamp, which you can see here.
When the potatoes are done, I throw in my ingredients with the only herbs I have ~ Italian.
Smells good!

Then I add the eggs, and a little crème fraiche, then scramble.
Finally, I added Parmesan cheese, and

Voilà!
It was mighty tasty, and easy too.

The perfect solution to dinner.

Thank you!


Now, what am I going to do with this paper?

4 comments:

  1. awesome!
    I love that you are using the paper to make little creatures.
    FANTASTIC!
    The grocery store tale is frustrating.
    So lame they aren't friendlier with you. How ridiculous!
    Glad you ran into friends instead of accidentally eating brains.
    Ha!

    I actually just ate this for breakfast TODAY!
    My favorite herb to throw in is thyme and I use green pepper.
    Easy and tasty. Woohoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. those tabs I made with the tape for each package should make it really easy to just pull up where it isn't sticky (i.e. the tab) and not rip the paper. In theory....anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And they do! Plus they add another dimension to the package. So... after all that. I think I should open another one this week, but first, I should go to town hall.
    boob honker. I'm still cracking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha. everyone looooooves the boob honker story.
    Yes! Town Hall! Get it over with.
    TOMORROW!!!!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete